Peer review publications
- Venables K M, Allitt U, Collier C G, Emberlin J, Greig J B, Hardaker P J, et al. Thunderstorm related asthma: the epidemic of 24/25 June 1994. Clinical and Experimental Allergy 1997; 27 (7): 725-36.
- Euripidou E, Murray V. Public health impacts of floods and chemical contamination. Journal of Public Health 2004; 26 (4): 376-83.
- Elliot AJ, Singh N, Loveridge P, Harcourt S, Smith S, Pnaiser R, et al. Syndromic surveillance to assess the potential public health impact of the Icelandic volcanic ash plume across the United Kingdom, April 2010. Euro Surveill 2010;15(23) http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=19583
- Taye A, Haile Mariam D, Murray V. Interim report: Review of evidence of the health impact of famine in Ethiopia. September 2010. Perspectives in Public 2010; 130(5):222-6 http://rsh.sagepub.com/content/130/5/222.abstract
Chapters in books
- Caldin H, Murray V. Health Impacts of flooding. In: Lamond J, Booth C, Hammond F, Proverbs D, editors. Flood Hazards: Impacts and Responses for the Built Environment. Section. London: CRC Press,13 June 2011. ISBN: 9781439826256.
Chemical Hazards and Poisons report articles of note
- Tristem A, Maynard R. Health Effects of Climate Change. CHaP Report June 2008; 12: 49. [external link]
- Browitt C (Edinburgh University), Walker A (British Geological Survey). Small ground movements detected from space radars: A new tool for risk assessment. [external link] CHaP Report September 2008: 13: 46
- Knight M (UCL Environment Institute).Institute). UCL Environment Institute: climate change, global warming, pollution, water research, cities, urban planning, natural disasters, Bridging the Gaps, greenhouse gases, town planning. [external link] CHaP Report April 2009; 14: 52.
- Bone A. Homes, health and climate change workshop. [external link] 11 November, 2008. CHaP Report April 2009; 14: 58 .
- Varley R (Met Office) The global threats of climate change. [external link] CHaP Report June 2009; 15: 62.
- Bone A (SpR), Nurse J (LSHTM). Health co-benefits of climate change action: How tackling climate change is a 'win win win'. [external link] CHaP Report January 2010; 16: 47
- Fisher P. Regional impacts of climate change. [external link] CHaP Report January 2010; 16: 52.
- Gale D (University of Sussex).Design principles for healthy housing and communities: The perceptions of planners and public health professionals. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 27.
- Gale D. Symposium on Healthy and Sustainable Homes and Communities . [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 70.
- Porritt S, Shao L, Goodier C (De Montford University), Cropper P (Loughborough University). Adapting UK dwellings for heat waves. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 44.
- Fisher P (CRCE). Building Health: Planning and Designing for Health and Happiness conference. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 62.
- Lau G (CRCE). Private water supplies – The new regulations, six months on, [external link] CHaP Report October 2010; 16: 53.
- Good P (Private Sector Housing, Medway Council), Gale D (Kent, Surrey and Sussex Public). The Housing Health and Safety Rating System: Application to homes in the private rented sector. [external link] CHaP Report October 2010; 18: 26.
- Barna S (UEA), Mortimer F (Sustainable Healthcare Education, The Campaign for
Greener Healthcare). Climate change and the duty of a doctor: Teaching sustainable healthcare. [external link] CHaP Report October 2010; 18: 29.
- Dar O.Water sustainability and the Millennium Development Goals. CHaP Report October 2010: 18; 35.
- Duarte-Davidson R, Murray V (CRCE). The Fifth Ministerial Conference on Environment and Health Protection: Children's health in a changing environment, Italy 2010. [external link] CHaP Report October 2010; 18: 47.
- Calvert N, Murphy L. (Cumbria & Lancashire HPU). Chemical aspects of the Carlisle floods 2005. [external link]CHaP Report May 2005; 4: 4.
- Communicating resilience: conference of European National Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction. [external link] CHaP Report September 2005; 5: 43.
- Murray V. Report on Exercise Triton 04: working together for a better flood response? [external link] CHaP Report September 2005; 5: 23.
- Murray V, Lee B. A brief introduction to the health consequences of natural disasters. [external link] CHaP Report February 2006; 6: 13.
- Johnson S, Bickler G. Summary of the Evaluation of the 2006 National Heatwave Plan for England. [external link] CHaP Report May 2007; 9: 37.
- Rodrigues B. Preparedness of front-line public health practitioners to respond to incidents of flooding. [external link] CHaP Report September 2007; 10: 37.
- Keshishian C; Amlot R. Summary of EA-HPA flooding meeting. [external link] CHaP Report May 2008; 12: 51
- Murray V, Cathcart S, Cordery R, Wilson J, Chow J. Advisory Committee for Natural Disaster Reduction [external link]CHaP Report May 2007; 9: 51.
- O'Connell E. Review of Health Protection Agency guidance for flooding Flooding in England & Wales 2007 used as a case study: . [external link] CHaP Report May 2008; 12: 37.
- South Yorkshire Flooding Working Group. Development of a risk assessment framework for potential chemical contamination during flood events. [external link] CHaP Report May 2008; 12: 37.
- Briceno S, Albrito P. The International Strategy for Disaster Reduction and its Hyogo Framework for Action (2005-2015): Building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters. [external link] CHaP Report September 2008; 13: 40.
- Maynard R, Baxter P, Myers I. Montserrat: A tale of the islands - the volcanic eruption 1995. [external link] CHaP Report September 2008: 13; 43.
- Baker C (LSHTM), Lee Brian (University of Portsmouth). Guidance on windstorms for the public health workforce. [external link] CHaP Report September 2008: 13; 49.
- Pomerai Gdl Head F, Murray V. Reducing adverse health outcomes from natural disasters and chemical incidents by working for school safety. [external link] CHaP Report September 2008; 13: 53.
- O'Connell E. Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management and Environment Agency conference on Critical Infrastructure and Flooding [external link] CHaPReport September 2008; 13: 58.
- Murray V. International Disaster and Risk Conference at Davos, Switzerland. [external link] 25th to 29th August, 2008. CHaP Report April 2009: 14; 57.
- Barclay J, Darnell A (University of East Anglia). Finding ways to reduce risk from Natural Hazards through effective interdisciplinary science: . [external link] CHaP Report September 2009; 15: 67.
- Murray V. Second Session of the United Nations International Strategy on Disaster Reduction Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, June, 2009. [external link] CHaPReport September 2009: 15; 65.
- Murray V, Caldin Harriet. Global Launch of the International Day for Disaster Reduction: Hospitals Safe from Disasters. [external link] CHaP Report January 2010; 16: 37.
- Head S, Farnsworth J, Leonardi G, Murray V.Overview of sources of information on health and social effects of flooding. [external link] CHaP Report January 2010; 16: 40.
- Fisher P, Murray V. International Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction: Dialogue between Scientists and Stakeholders. [external link] CHaP Report January 2010; 16: 68.
- Andrews N, Hardelid P, Peabody R (CfI); Johnson S, Bickler G (LaRS). Rapid estimation of excess mortality in England and Wales during the heatwave of June 30th to July 2nd 2009. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010: 17; 46.
- Johnson S, Bickler G. Heatwave seminar 2010. CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 48.
- Fenn T, Daly E (Risk & Policy Analysts Limited). Factors affecting house prices: a comparison of the effects of natural disasters. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 50.
- Yadav S. (LSTHM). Environmental health problems from floods: A comparison of flooding in Mumbai, Western India in 2005 and England in 2007. [external link] CHaP Report June 2010; 17: 53.
- Coates T (FHRC, Middlesex University). How can local communities cope with flooding? [external link] Understanding local social structures and how these shape collective flood responses. CHaP Report October 2010; 18: 31
Reports (both published and those due for release in 2011)
Climate Change and Extreme Events
Reports in preparation
- Foresight International Dimensions of Climate Change - The Implications for the UK's Health Sector of the International Dimensions of Climate Change, 2010 to 2100. Report submitted to Foresight, Government Office for Science, 8 November 2010. Lead author: Dr Delphine Grynszpan. Contributing authors: Prof Virginia Murray, Prof Irene Kreis, Dr Dominik Zenner, Dr Sotiris Vardoulakis, Miss Harriet Caldin, Dr Dilys Morgan, Dr Clare Heaviside and Professor David Heymann. Key milestone / deliverable: Launch of the report by BIS in spring 2011
- International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) Advisory Group of the Mid-Term Review of the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA). HFA report for Global Platform May 2011 Report on Databases (HFA Mid-Term Review)
- UNISDR HFA MTR. Murray V, Kar-Purkayastha I, Grynzpan D, Abrahams J, Musani A. Evidence for Disaster Risk Management - Information and knowledge needs for policy makers and field practitioners. In United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction Hyogo Framework for Action Mid Term Review, Global Platform. May 2011 - in press.
- WHO Regional Office for Europe/HPA – Guidance Plans for the Health Impacts of Flooding : In 2009/11 Health Protection Agency and WHO Regional Office for Europe investigated adverse health effects from floods to improve public health preparedness and response by (a) a questionnaire survey on recent flood incidents, existence and use of emergency health plans, health impacts observed and actions taken, and (b) a systematic review of epidemiological literature over the last 6 years on health impact of flooding. WHO Euro – paper submitted and being reviewed by WHO Meeting in Bonn 29-30 November. Some changes will be required and the final report will be published by WHO Euro probably in July 2011. Key milestones/deliverables: WHO Euro – Guidance Plans for the Health Impacts of Flooding report. WHO Euro – Health and Flooding: a Handbook report
- Department of Health National Public Mental Health Steering Group – Mental Health and Flooding: Department of Health has requested that the Health Protection Agency work on a report on the mental health after flooding as the effects of flooding events and disasters on health can be extensive and significant with particularly complex mental health impacts. The Department of Health and the Health Protection Agency collaborated to research the mental health impacts of flooding, gather known best practice on their mitigation and develop an evidence-based guidance document and this will be submitted to National Public Mental Health Steering Group in March 2011. Key milestones/deliverables: Guidance document on the mental health impacts of flooding and their mitigation
Climate Change and Extreme Events
- IPCC Special Report on Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation Co-ordinating Lead Author Chap 9. At its 38th session (24-25 November 2008, Geneva, Switzerland), the IPCC Bureau decided to conduct a scoping meeting, to provide support for a future decision on whether to endorse the Special Report. http://www.ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/extremes-sr/index.html Virginia Murray nominated as a lead author by UNISDR and support by DECC and HPA in this role. The approved outline of special report is available at this link: http://www.ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/extremes-sr/approved_outline.html Final report will be available at end of 2011.
HPA Conference 2010 (presentations given and posters presented)
Presentations: Extreme Events
Kamanyire R, Maynard R, Kibble A, Bradley N, Murray V, Harrison H, et al. The public health risk assessment and response to the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic eruption. Health Protection Agency. HPA Conference 2010.
Elliot A, N Singh, P Loveridge, S Harcourt, S Smith, R Pnaiser. Volcanos, ash clouds and syndromic surveillance: a national surveillance response to the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. HPA Conference 2010
Presentation: Extreme Events and Climate Change
Murray V, Bickler G. Extreme weather events and other natural hazards – the work of the Health Protection Agency. Health Protection Agency HPA Conference 2010
Posters: Extreme Events
Caldin H, Davies B, Gale D, V Murray, Matthies F, Rockenschaub G, et al. Protecting health from floods: the generation of guidance. HPA Conference 2010
Wynne Evans E, Jones L, Caldin H, Murray V, Matthies F, Rockenschaub G, et al. Mapping of European flooding events 2000-2009. HPA Conference 2010
Poster: Extreme Events and Climate Change
Castleden M, McKee M, Murray V, Leonardi G. Resilience thinking in health protection. HPA Conference 2010.